Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Mack with a Ford cab

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    washington, st.
    Posts
    801

    Mack with a Ford cab

    Question, In 1958 Mack used the C series Ford tilt cab in a two ton truck. That year only the Ford C cab had quad headlights so
    did the Mack that was offered. Has anyone ever seen one in person. I haven't and I only found one photo of it online.

    Truck Shop

  2. #2
    I saw one 25 to 30 years ago. It was a water truck for a construction company doing a bridge replacement for the State back then and was parked on site. I passed by there several times during the construction on weekends when they weren't working and it was always parked in the same spot. At first I thought someone had put Mack letters on the front of a Ford but I stopped to look at it and there were more Mack tags in conspicuous places. My memory isn't 100% certain but I think it had a 3208 Cat (or previous similar model) in it.

    Another odd Mack I've seen was what appeared to be a single axle R model oil truck with a 3208 Cat in it. There's no mistaking the sound of that engine and I'm certain that's what it was as he went up through the gears. I can still see the huge "Vince's" lettering on the side of the tank. I've never seen another with that engine.
    God, Guns & Guts made America Free!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    washington, st.
    Posts
    801
    Interesting, The one you saw was it two or three axle. It probably had the early 1160 cat. Must have been East Coast thing.

    Truck Shop

  4. #4
    The Mack with the Ford cab was actually available as a model in the early 60's. I had an old Aurora Model Motoring race car track set, and they produced 2 trucks for the set. One was a single axle Mack dump truck. The other was a tandem axle Mack stake bed truck. I see them on Ebay now and then. I never saw one of the real Macks like that, and I grew up in "Mack country".

  5. #5
    It was a single axle Truck Shop. This was back before we all carried digital cameras, wish I had some pics now. I only ever saw the one.
    God, Guns & Guts made America Free!!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mowingman View Post
    The Mack with the Ford cab was actually available as a model in the early 60's. I had an old Aurora Model Motoring race car track set, and they produced 2 trucks for the set. One was a single axle Mack dump truck. The other was a tandem axle Mack stake bed truck. I see them on Ebay now and then. I never saw one of the real Macks like that, and I grew up in "Mack country".
    That was a N model mack and cab was built by Budd cab which also built the ford C model cab.I worked for mack dealer in the mid 60s and remember them.All i ever saw had a mack engine in them.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    washington, st.
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn akers View Post
    That was a N model mack and cab was built by Budd cab which also built the ford C model cab.I worked for mack dealer in the mid 60s and remember them.All i ever saw had a mack engine in them.
    You traipsed away from BMT for a minute.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Moses Lake,WA
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn akers View Post
    That was a N model mack and cab was built by Budd cab which also built the ford C model cab.I worked for mack dealer in the mid 60s and remember them.All i ever saw had a mack engine in them.
    I never saw a Mack with that cab, but it was probably head and shoulders above the quality of the late 70's Evans cabs on the MB series Macks.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Moses Lake,WA
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frazier View Post
    I saw one 25 to 30 years ago. It was a water truck for a construction company doing a bridge replacement for the State back then and was parked on site. I passed by there several times during the construction on weekends when they weren't working and it was always parked in the same spot. At first I thought someone had put Mack letters on the front of a Ford but I stopped to look at it and there were more Mack tags in conspicuous places. My memory isn't 100% certain but I think it had a 3208 Cat (or previous similar model) in it.

    Another odd Mack I've seen was what appeared to be a single axle R model oil truck with a 3208 Cat in it. There's no mistaking the sound of that engine and I'm certain that's what it was as he went up through the gears. I can still see the huge "Vince's" lettering on the side of the tank. I've never seen another with that engine.
    In the early 80's our county road department ran a mess of single drive R series Macks with 32Y? 3208 Cats. Kind of a strange idea I thought when the Scania 6 cylinder was available.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    washington, st.
    Posts
    801
    In a book called the American Truck Spotters Guide 1920 to 1970 by Tad Burness on page 221 it shows a C cab Mack with quad headlights-year is 1958.

    Truck Shop

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Moses Lake,WA
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Shop View Post
    In a book called the American Truck Spotters Guide 1920 to 1970 by Tad Burness on page 221 it shows a C cab Mack with quad headlights-year is 1958.

    Truck Shop
    Years back in the Wheels Of Time, there was an article about that cab having the longest run of any other. I cant remember the start date, but Ford used it until 1984.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •