Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quiz time

Quote Originally Posted by Truck Shop View Post
    White owned Autocar for several years, 60's thru the early 80's. Then Volvo got their mitt's on it because they bought White. You can still buy a new Autocar
    so long as all you want to haul is garbage. Autocar is the oldest truck brand still being built. The cab was built in Kelowna, BC. and used buy Diamond T,
    Western Star, White, Hayes and Autocar and a few others.

Truck Shop
    IIRC there was actually 2 versions of that cab White used in the 60's, a taller version for the west coast long haulers and a shorter, possibly slightly narrower version for the east coast. I may just be full of it though, But I think Frieghtliner did the same with their cabovers in the 60's and 70's.

It's been said west coast truck drivers are taller than east coast drivers, but In all my years I have never seen a taller Kelowna made cab nor Freightliner. And checking
    through many books there is also nothing said about it. I would like to see one.

Truck Shop

Quote Originally Posted by rzucker View Post
    I'm kinda revisiting a few threads today, and I'm thinking White was left off the nameplate because White wasn't putting any money into Freightliner's R&D work.
    White was more of a partnership with Freightliner and had thrown in a pile of money to get Freightliner off the ground. White had the controlling interest until
    Freightliner wanted to split the sheets. But your probably right about the R&D, that's how companies get into a pissing match.

Truck Shop

It's been said west coast truck drivers are taller than east coast drivers, but In all my years I have never seen a taller Kelowna made cab nor Freightliner. And checking
    through many books there is also nothing said about it. I would like to see one.

Truck Shop
    The reason I mentioned the west/east coast differences was an article in the "Wheels of Time" ATHS magazine years back discussing the Edgecomb? steel company's stainless steel Autocars. IIRC it was mentioned there was a size difference in the cabs. And I have seen 2 1974 White Frieghtliners side by side that were obviously different sized cabs, one was a day cab with single headlights and the other was a sleeper cab with dual headlights, the day cab had a plain flat narrow grille and was a bit lower in height than the other. The east/west thing was the explanation I got from the owner of both trucks. I would love to get a chance to go back and actually measure them.

RZ are you talking Conventional or COE. The odd bird for the COE was a Powerliner. If it was a Conventional, there were some built with a narrower hood and grill
    early on, mainly for Consolidated and Lee & Estees had some I think. But I don't remember the cabs being different.

Truck Shop

RZ are you talking Conventional or COE. The odd bird for the COE was a Powerliner. If it was a Conventional, there were some built with a narrower hood and grill
    early on, mainly for Consolidated and Lee & Estees had some I think. But I don't remember the cabs being different.

Truck Shop
    They were COE's. I'm wondering now if the one with single headlights was actually a 60's model and the owner wasn't aware of the age. It did have twister door handles and the teensy miserable stirrup steps just over the wheels.

If you scroll down on this link to a ATHS thread you will see three facing front. The one in the middle is much older with smaller windshields, but someone
    installed the later big name bracket on it. It will be the sixth picture. The Powerliner you couldn't miss, the grill on those was almost to the headlights and
    bigger windshields.

http://forums.aths.org/PrintTopic110292.aspx

Truck Shop

Yep the one in the center is a smaller cab. And the Powerliner is unmistakeable, I used to run with another grain hauler in the early 80's that had one with a KTA 450, well... we would load together and he would just disappear even when I loaded first. (my GMC was an 8V-71). His was a bronze metallic color with a set of loud pipes pulling a 40/20 set. You may have seen him in E-Berg too. We both hit the Schaake feed mill in those days.
    Last edited by rzucker; 12-19-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Ok now is where my art work comes in. Use a caliper and measure the distance between the outer headlights on all three trucks. Photos are very deceiving.
    Because the windshield opening in the center truck is smaller it makes the cab look narrow and taller.

Truck Shop

[QUOTE=Truck Shop;3220]Ok now is where my art work comes in. Use a caliper and measure the distance between the outer headlights on all three trucks. Photos are very deceiving.
    Because the windshield opening in the center truck is smaller it makes the cab look narrow and taller.

Ok this is where my art work comes in. Using a caliper measure the distance between the outer headlights, measuring from center of headlights on all three trucks.
    Photos are very deceiving, because the opening for the windshield is smaller on the center truck it makes it look more compact and slightly taller. But measuring
    from several points its basically the same cab.

Truck Shop

Went back to modify my post and got three, damn I only drank one beer ocifer.

Truck Shop

Went back to modify my post and got three, damn I only drank one beer ocifer.

Truck Shop
    That's too funny. Blame the computer... I do.