Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Air Disc Brakes

  1. #1

    Air Disc Brakes

    Just curious, anyone using air disc brakes? I remember that they came out in the late 80's/early 90's (if memory serves), but then went away because of problems. They seem to be popular on new trucks/trailers now.

    Does Tate use any Truckshop?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    near Cremona Alberta
    Posts
    62
    A lot of lightweight lowbeds run air discs, Murray, Cozad etc. I don't have any useful info on them though, other than I am looking for some cheap parts to try some conversions on old wheel loaders, because there isn't really much room for s cam brakes.

  3. #3
    Thanks Longhood, do you know how parking brakes work with them?

  4. #4
    It seems like parking brakes would still be a drum on the drive line like anyone would need to be told this.Ron G

  5. #5
    Senior Member Truck Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    washington, st.
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxbow View Post
    Just curious, anyone using air disc brakes? I remember that they came out in the late 80's/early 90's (if memory serves), but then went away because of problems. They seem to be popular on new trucks/trailers now.

    Does Tate use any Truckshop?
    We don't have any disc brakes on our trucks. There is a customer that has a 2013 Pete with them. But I doubt he will buy anymore of them, cost.
    Our last nine trucks came from factory with 9" wide shoes and long stroke cans.

    Truck Shop

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    near Cremona Alberta
    Posts
    62
    the ones that I have looked at have a piggyback brake chamber ,
    link to Hendrickson parts list for trailer disc brakes http://www.hendrickson-intl.com/CMSP...b-140086bfc12c

    Guys seem to love them or hate them

  7. #7
    Thanks for the link; I did not know that the callipers were used for parking. It seems one would not want to set the brakes after coming down a long grade for fear of warping the rotors (not that drums do much better when brakes are set hot).
    This brings me to the question: Why does California build so many weigh stations at the bottom of hills?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Truck Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    washington, st.
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxbow View Post
    Thanks for the link; I did not know that the callipers were used for parking. It seems one would not want to set the brakes after coming down a long grade for fear of warping the rotors (not that drums do much better when brakes are set hot).
    This brings me to the question: Why does California build so many weigh stations at the bottom of hills?
    Oxbow do you remember Gayle Le Fore? He and I work together in the shop. It's his cousin's truck that has disc brakes, I asked him this morning about it.
    He told me it's been into Pete several times for brake issues in 260,000 and the rotors are starting some cracking. But that's only one truck and don't
    know much about the driver.

    At Cloverdale B.C. there are two short 10% grades with stop lights at the bottom of each. Ashland scale bottom of hill. Cabbage at the top?

    Truck Shop

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Shop View Post
    Oxbow do you remember Gayle Le Fore? He and I work together in the shop. It's his cousin's truck that has disc brakes, I asked him this morning about it.
    He told me it's been into Pete several times for brake issues in 260,000 and the rotors are starting some cracking. But that's only one truck and don't
    know much about the driver.

    At Cloverdale B.C. there are two short 10% grades with stop lights at the bottom of each. Ashland scale bottom of hill. Cabbage at the top?

    Truck Shop
    No, I can't say that I do, but that was a long time ago.

    I just changed the brakes on my 08 f350 for the first time with 250K on them. I am not in the market for a new big truck, just curious about the air discs.

    Thanks Truckshop

  10. #10
    Heres a good video.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNcRRtj_erw

    More control, shorter stopping distance, many benefits and yes more expensive both initially and in maintenance.

  11. #11
    I have a real bad taste for air disc of years past but the 2010-2013 Petes here with steer axle disc have been flawless.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •